Thursday, March 25, 2010

Graceling

In the book "Graceling", by Kristin Cashore, there are people born with incredible abilities (classic idea). These abilities are referred to as Graces and the people who possess them are identified by their eyes.

Here's a snippet:

"His eyes. Katsa had never seen such eyes. One was silver and the other, gold. They glowed in his sun-darkened face, uneven, and strange. She was surprised that they hadn't shown in the darkness of their first meeting. They didn't seem human. She couldn't stop looking at them."

Later:

"This strange person, this cat-eyed person who seemed created to rattle her. She would knock those eyes out of his face the next time they fought. She would knock the hoops from his ears and the rings from his hands."

Since eyes are such an important part of this book, it shouldn't have come as a surprise to me to be reminded of it when I listened to Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes," but I guess I'm always surprised at how deeply books affect the soul.

"In your eyes
The light the heat
In your eyes
I am complete
In your eyes
I see the doorway to a thousand churches
In your eyes
The resolution of all the fruitless searches
In your eyes
I see the light and the heat
In your eyes
Oh, I want to be that complete
I want to touch the light
The heat I see in your eyes

Love, I don't like to see so much pain
So much wasted and this moment keeps slipping away
I get so tired of working so hard for our survival
I look to the time with you to keep me awake and alive
"


2 comments:

Roxie said...

Oh, I love that song. Eyes are such a powerful look into the soul.

Cannwin said...

Yeah it's one of my favorites too. And it fits the book so-so well. Its really a great book if you haven't read it you should!

...

Related Posts with Thumbnails