Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Wish-List

Another week has gone by and my book list is no shorter than it was last week. ::sigh:: I need to work on that.

I suppose I could go to the library, but I like to own my books. I like having tangible proof that the characters I love actually exist. So I'll have to start saving up my pennies in the hopes of reducing my wish-list.

A wish-list that includes The Shadow of the Silk Road by Colin Thubron.

This is the account of a travel writer who, for the sake of literature, undertakes the daunting task of traveling what was once the Silk Road.

His journey takes him from China all the way to Turkey by any means available i.e. 3rd class travel across half the world.

The minute I spotted this book I wanted it. This is most definitely something I would love to read and I  can imagine finding as much satisfaction from it's pages as I did from "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi or "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson.

That particular area of the world fascinates me. It is the cradle of all human life, the resting place of the great Prophets of old, and behind the burqa, turban, and the robe lie the descendants of the Old Testament. Doesn't that fascinate you!?

I'm completely hooked on Middle-Eastern journalistic non-fiction (is there an easier way to say that?)

Here's a clip from Colin Thubron about the book that I found on YouTube:



Books: The Shadow of the Silk Road by Colin Thubron
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

No comments:

...

Related Posts with Thumbnails