Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday Wish-List

Into the Forest by Jean Hegland has been praised as ". . .a truly admirable addition to a genre defined by the very high standards of George Orwell's 1984 and Russell Hoban's Ridley Walker." --Publisher's Weekly.

Again, I'm not sure how this book ended up on my list of books to read, but there it is waiting and again I'm even more intrigued when I start digging around for my Friday posts.

This is the story of two sisters struggling to survive after the world has ended or rather society has ended.

From the author's website:

"...when society begins to crumble, spurred by terrorism, a distant war, unpredictable weather, and an unstable economy, the little family hoards its resources and attempts to keep up its spirits as they wait for the lights to come back on, the phone to ring, and the lives they have been anticipating to return to them."

I've said it once, and I'll say it again... I'm not picky about my genre as long as the story sounds interesting and the writing is good.

When I find books that have ratings and praises like this one I'm always tempted to go out and buy it right away.

Even the reader reviews on Amazon are hugely positive:

"I found the premise of this book to be eerily fascinating and frightening. It hooked me from the first page and I could not put it down." -BeachReader

"This is absolutely one of the best... Every character, every behavior, every reaction is believable and easily explained within the context of known human behavior." --Tome Toad

I'm going to have to keep this one on my Wish-List. Maybe I'll get lucky and my husband will buy it for me! ::wink-wink, nudge-nudge::



Books: Into the Forest by Jean Hegland
1984 by George Orwell
Ridley Walker by Russell Hoban

Image source: DeviantART Artist: ~Sandfreak

2 comments:

Jessica said...

The synopsis sounds really good - I'm intrigued. I'll definitely be adding this one to my TBR list, especially after the comparison to 1984! :)

Cannwin said...

Yes it does look good. I've never read 1984 but my little sister loves it with a passion, she also loves the book 'The Road' though so you can see why I'm a bit hesitant. :)

...

Related Posts with Thumbnails