Friday, October 1, 2010

And Maybe a Little Vonnegut On The Side? - Banned Books Week

Kim (Barnes & Noble Classics)I see banned books. Everywhere. They are scattered around my house like ants on an abandoned jam sandwich.

A copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is balanced precariously on the printer next to my monitor with a bookmark stuck 1/3 of the way through. The same kid who left Harry hanging also abandoned Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime upside down on the table by the front door.

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the GalaxyIn the bookshelves downstairs we have copies of Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, A Wrinkle in Time, Grimm's Fairy Tales, and Where The Wild Things Are. (A far from exhaustive list, trust me.) My own personal bookshelf currently holds a set of The Lord of the Rings, Jumper, and Twilight, among others.

So what's on my wish list this week? Oh, heck, why not the entire ALA Banned and/or Challenged Classics list? That seems to be a good place to find books worth reading. I think I'll start with Kim, and follow it up with A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Definitely invest in the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I read it last summer and it revived my interest in science fiction. Great choice!!

...

Related Posts with Thumbnails