Friday, January 7, 2011

Book Blogger Hop

Book Blogger HopIt's always fun to participate in the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Crazy-for-Books. This week's question is:

"What book influenced or changed your life? How did it influence/change you?"

Honestly, I can't think of any one particular book that I can point to that changed my life, because there have been so many books that have changed me. In a way, every book I read changes me - but there are some that stick out in my memory more than others. If I had to pick one book, though... Nah. Can't do it. How about a series, though?

OZARK TRILOGY: TWELVE FAIR KINGDOMS; GRAND JUBILEE; THEN THERE'LL BE FIREWORKSuzette Haden Elgin had a huge impact on my life when I first read her Ozark trilogy. She got me thinking about relationships between men and women and our roles in society. I was in my late teens, and I'd never really considered the matter before, just taken for granted that the world was as it was and wasn't I lucky not to live in a  time when women couldn't do anything? She opened my eyes to how much sexism I just wasn't seeing and how much I had accepted without thinking about it. It was very good for me to have my eyes opened like that, and I spent a lot of time thinking over what I thought about gender roles.

Native TongueLater on I read her Native Tongue trilogy, which again challenged my assumptions and helped to continue the process of re-evaluation I'd started.

Hmmm - even when I try to keep it to just one series, I can't! Too many good books out there - and I do love a book that makes me think. (And just as an aside - thank goodness for the libraries that make it possible for me to find those books! The Ozark trilogy was carried by my local library. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the librarian that decided to carry those books.)

Books: Ozark trilogy, Native Tongue trilogy, by Suzette Haden Elgin

7 comments:

Precious said...

Hello there! Hopping by! I love the answers to this week’s question.
I have a huge prize pack giveaway at the blog. A contest reminder is included in my book blogger hop post. I hope you drop by!
Here’s my post.

Have a nice weekend!

Jaleh D said...

I'd have a hard time picking one book or one series, too. So many that influenced me. I'm such an avid reader that I don't even always remember when the first time had been that I'd read a particular book.

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. New follower!
I haven't heard of the Ozark Trilogy or the Native Tongue Trilogy. I'll have to look them up.
Happy weekend!
My Hop

Mary Grace said...

Books can really leave a mark in our lives. To read what that book is in my life, come visit me at Clandestine Sanctuary.

Dropping by via the hop. I am a new follower. Have a great weekend!

Elizabeth said...

Stopping by from the blog hop...good answer...first-time visitor...love your design

Happy New Year....

My answer is at: http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Elizabeth

Mina Burrows said...

I'm just hopping by. Cool blog. I'm now follower. Love your Friday Wish list.

http://minaburrows.blogspot.com/

Cari Hislop said...

Books that changed my life...too too many to chose one. Here's a few...

Little Women (the romance between Joe and the Professor. I was about ten, but I thought it was SO romantic to fall in love with an older man! Having married one I can say my romance started with that book.

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. This book has taught me how to love others and how I need to be loved. It has completely changed my life and how I deal with other people. I can't imagine being me today without it. If you've never read it. I HIGHLY recommenced it or one of his many versions. The premise is simple yet profound.

The Artist Way by Julia Cameron. It's a 12 week self help course that
saved my sanity. It has helped me understand what it means to be creative as well as made me better person.

When I was young it was fiction that changed me, but I find these days it's usually biographies. I've learned A LOT about myself (as well as countless other topics) by studying other people's lives.

...

Related Posts with Thumbnails