Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Wheel Weaves As the Wheel Wills

If you've read fantasy the odds are you've read Robert Jordan. Of the numerous books written under that pen name one character stands out the most in the mind of any fan.

Rand al'Thor

Now I know what you're thinking... you're thinking 'She can't seriously be about to connect some lame song to the Dragon Reborn,' and with a fan base as strong as The Wheel of Time has, you might be right is questioning my sanity. 

The thing is, there's this song that I really like. I've liked it since I was a child (way before I knew of the Car'a'carn)--see I'm throwing in all these names, so you'll know that I know what I'm talking about here--but ever since prepping for this blog I've had it on my mind as the perfect theme for Rand.

Rand is, in essence, a slave to the system. He is forced into a position he would rather not have and into a situation he would rather avoid:

"Most people here were wise enough to move away when they saw him stalking across the grounds. Rand could remember when such moods hadn't struck him, when he had been a simple sheepherder. Rand the Dragon Reborn was a different man altogether. He was a man of responsibility and duty. He had to be."

That segues nicely to my Rand al'Thor song. Sixteen Tons by Tennessee Ernie Ford:

If you see me comin', better step aside
A lotta men didn't, a lotta men died
One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't a-get you
Then the left one will

You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

Yes, I think it fits the Dragon Reborn very nicely indeed.


No comments:

...

Related Posts with Thumbnails