Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Traitor

A friend of mine handed me a book last month and promised me I'd love it (no pressure, right?). The Traitor by Sandra Grey belongs into the genre of LDS Fiction. It's the story of a female spy dropped into occupied France during WWII.

As is true with most stories in this genre the plot is as thin as a fresh layer of ice--and easier to see through--but that's not why I read LDS Fiction. I read it because it is quick and easy. Add to that a shamelessly sappy love-story and what you get is a book ready for a cold afternoon when there is nothing else to do.

The Traitor falls neatly into this category with it's lightening swift courtship and bold declarations of love... all of which are neatly qualified by one excuse--war does strange things to people. Yet, when you're through you are left feeling a bit happier than when you started, because not only war, but books do strange things to people.

So after reading the book, I was sitting in my car listening to the radio (waiting for the kids to get out of school) and a song came on that fit the mood of the book just perfectly.

Babe by Styx

Babe I'm leavin'
I must be on my way
The time is drawing near
My train is going
I see it in your eyes
The love beneath your tears
But I'll be lonely without you
And I'll need your love to see me through
So please believe me
My heart is in your hands
And I'll be missing you 


From the book:


"We need to talk." His arms gripped her even more tightly as he spoke, and Marie felt frozen in place, as if some life-changing event was about to occur. She watched his face quietly, waiting. "I can't stand the thought of leaving you, Marie." [He] took a deep breath. "I know you have concerns--about us, about my part in this war--but leaving you now..." He stopped, his eyes studying every inch of her face. "I want to marry you."

Again from the song:

Babe, I'm leavin'
I'll say it once again
And somehow try to smile
I know the feeling we're tryin' to forget
If only for a while
'Cause I'll be lonely without you
And I'll need your love to see me through
Please believe me
My heart is in your hands
'Cause I'll be missing you
Babe, I love you 


Book: The Traitor by Sandra Grey
Music: Babe I Love You by Styx

No comments:

...

Related Posts with Thumbnails